Summer Reading Program Coordinator
Serving the Town of Taber and the surrounding municipal district, Taber Public Library’s (TPL) mission is to meet the informational, educational, recreational and cultural needs of the community. TPL is here to satisfy curiosity, help express creativity, celebrate diversity and stimulate imagination.
TPL has openings for 1 Summer Reading Program Coordinator: a team player responsible for developing and providing programing for children participating in the TD Summer Reading Club. Summer Reading Program Coordinators report directly to the Assistant Manager.
This is a part time temporary position, working 30 hours per week Tuesday through Saturday tentatively beginning Tuesday May 12, 2020 and ending Friday, August 21, 2020 (7 weeks of preparation time, 6 weeks of programming, and 1 week of reporting). Hourly rate is $16.00 per hour paid on a bi-weekly basis.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Generating a calendar of events over the duration of the program, including a kick-off event and end-of-summer event
- Developing and presenting various events over the course of the program i.e. games, readings, guest visits, crafts, etc.
- Developing and implementing a summer reading challenge for adults and children ages 5+
- Lobbying the program and reading challenge to local businesses for financial/gift-in-kind donations
- Visiting local elementary schools to promote the program and reading challenge to staff and students
- Visiting local junior high and high schools to promote the program as a volunteer opportunity for teens
- Managing volunteers
- Managing participant registration for program and reading challenge
- Maintaining program and reading challenge statistics (participants, supplies, volunteers, donors)
- Creating a document outlining the finalized schedules daily programs for future reference
- Writing a final report analyzing statistics and assessing and evaluating the program as a whole
- Working within a set budget
Skills & Qualifications
- Imagination and creativity
- Strong communication skills
- Strong organization skills
- Leadership skills
- Ability to interact with individuals of all age levels
- Ability to work with little supervision and/or in a team setting
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite of tools
- Currently enrolled in secondary or post-secondary school as a full-time student intend to return to full-time studies for Fall 2020 required. Students in library technician diploma program, recreational programming diploma program, education degree program or MLIS degree program preferred
- Must have a valid driver’s license
Please note: satisfactory background screening is required for this position, which includes a Criminal Record Check/Police Information Check.
Taber Public Library is an equal opportunity employer.
All those interested in applying for these positions may send a cover letter and resume to:
Interim Assistant Library Manager
Taber Public Library
Deadline for applications is 9:00 AM Friday April 3, 2020.