Summer Reading Program Coordinator
Serving the Town of Taber and the surrounding municipal district, Taber Public Library’s (TPL) mission is to meet the informational, educational, recreational and cultural needs of the community. TPL is here to satisfy curiosity, help express creativity, celebrate diversity and stimulate imagination.
TPL has openings for 2 Summer Reading Program Coordinators: team players responsible for developing and providing programming for children participating in the TD Summer Reading Club. Summer Reading Program Coordinators report directly to the Assistant Manager.
These are part time temporary positions, working 30 hours per week Tuesday through Saturday tentatively beginning Monday, May 13, 2019 and ending Friday, August 23, 2019 (8 weeks of preparation time, 6 weeks of programming, and 1 week of reporting). Hourly rate is $15.50 per hour paid on a bi-weekly basis.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Generating a calendar of events over the duration of the program
- Developing and presenting various events over the course of the program i.e. games, readings, guest visits, crafts, etc.
- Developing and implementing a summer reading challenge for children and teenagers ages 5-17
- Lobbying the program and reading challenge to local businesses for financial/gift-in-kind donations
- Visiting local elementary schools to promote the program and reading challenge to staff and students
- Visiting local junior high and high schools to promote the program as a volunteer opportunity for teens
- Managing volunteers
- Managing participant registration for program and reading challenge
- Maintaining program and reading challenge statistics (participants, supplies, volunteers, donors)
- Creating a document outlining the finalized schedules daily programs for future reference
- Writing a final report analyzing statistics and assessing and evaluating the program as a whole
- Working within a set budget
Skills & Qualifications
- Imagination and creativity
- Strong communication skills
- Strong organization skills
- Leadership skills
- Ability to interact with individuals of all age levels
- Ability to work with little supervision and/or in a team setting
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite of tools
- Enrolment in a post-secondary program required. Students in library technician diploma program, recreational programming diploma program, education degree program or MLIS degree program preferred.
- Must have a valid driver’s license
Taber Public Library is an equal opportunity employer.
All those interested in applying for these positions may send a cover letter and resume to:
Assistant Library Manager
Taber Public Library
Deadline for applications is 9:00 AM Friday March 15, 2019.