General Policy: Public Use of Computers
To establish guidelines for the use of public computers as provided by the Taber Public Library.
The Taber Public Library will provide computers for public use within the Library.
1. As public use computers Internet workstations are located in open areas shared by library patrons of all ages, backgrounds, and sensibilities, individual users must be respectful of other library users when accessing the Internet from public workstations.
2. There is no charge to use the public computers other than the fee as set out in the “Fee Schedule”.
3. The Library is not responsible for any fees a user may incur by use of the internet.
4. Patrons/Public do not need a membership to gain access to the computers.
5. Patrons/Public must sign in at the front desk to use the computer, they will be asked to provide their name and phone number.
6. Patrons are limited to 1 hour per day, with additional requested time at the discretion of the Library Manager or designate.
7. Patrons/Public under the age of 15 will be required to have a consent form filled out by a parent prior to using the computer. This form is kept at the front desk (see attached form).
8. Public use computers in the children’s area will only provide filtered access to the Internet until such time as a permission form is signed by a parent indicating unfiltered access is permitted.
9. Public Access computers are not to be used for illegal or unethical purposes. If the viewing content is inappropriate for viewing in a public and multi-age user environment, after one warning the user will lose computer privileges for 24 hours and be asked to leave.
10. The Library will report any suspicion of criminal action to authorities.
11. One (1) warning will be handed out before a patron who is abusing the service and/or equipment will be asked to terminate their session. Additional abuse will result in the patron being banned from further use of the library’s computers.
12. The Library cannot guarantee security and confidentiality of any transaction, particularly e-commerce transactions.
13. In-house CDs and CD-Roms may be used in the computers.
14. There will be no bookings on the computer or use of wireless connection during the last half hour prior to closing.
15. The following “Fee Schedule” is in effect.
16. WiFi is available Monday to Saturday from 9:00 am to 9:00 pm.
Fee Schedule for Public-Use Computers
Date of Approval: October 12, 2004
Date Reviewed/Revised: June 10, 2008
June 8, 2010
April 9, 2013
September 8, 2015
November 13, 2018